The 10th Annual Family Medicine Residency Recruitment Conference-Family Medicine Day is on March 19, 2016!
What: NC Family Medicine Day
When: Saturday, March 19, 2016 (8:30 a.m.-7:45 p.m. EST)
Where: Doubletree by Hilton Raleigh Brownstone
1707 Hillsborough Street
Raleigh, NC 27605
Cost: Free! (including overnight lodging accommodations if needed!)
The event is free to all medical students, with priority given to 3rd- and 4th-years. NCFM Day includes keynote speakers, presentations on relevant topics in Family Medicine, clinical skills workshops, and a residency fair with almost all the residency programs in the state of North Carolina (as well as a few others from neighboring states).
A light continental breakfast is provided, and there will be a couple presentations in the morning before boxed lunches are served for all attendees. Last year’s panel discussions were on different/new health practice models–Direct Primary Care, practicing in Federally Qualified Health Centers, and using web-based patietn portals to deliver quality care.
The workshops are in the afternoon, followed by the residency fair in the evening. The workshops offered this year are listed below–you’ll have enough time to attend four of them, so choose wisely (or bring a friend so you can compare notes/experiences)!
- Basic Suturing Techniques | Wake Forest Family Medicine Residency
- IUD Insertions & Endometrial Biopsy | Carolinas Medical Center Family Medicine
- Circumcisions | Cabarrus Family Medicine Residency
- Shoulder Exams & Injections | Southern Regional AHEC Family Medicine Residency
- Dermatological Procedures | UNC Family Medicine Residency
- Mock Residency Interviews | Duke University Family Medicine Residency
- Splinting, Bracing & Casting | East Carolina University Family Medicine Residency
- Knee Examinations & Injections | MAHEC Family Medicine Residency
- Ultrasound in OB & Sports | Cone Health Family Medicine Residency
- Musculoskeletal Techniques | New Hanover Regional Family Medicine Residency
- Wilderness Medicine | Novant Health Family Medicine Residency
- Residency Interviews & The Intern Year | Residency Panel Participants
The residency fair was a great way to network and have a chance to talk with different residency programs in the state, so if you have any questions about any of the programs, now’s your chance to ask them! I attended last year’s, and was able to set up an acting internship with one of the programs and also got to talk to the program directors at several of the other programs I was interested in. The event is very organized and well put together–definitely a worthwhile trip!
The full schedule of events can be found here!
(There is an initial $20 registration fee, but you will receive a refund upon completion of the four workshops and participation in the Residency Fair!)