Sample Interview Questions
If you’re looking for some sample questions to look over before going on your residency interviews, you’re in luck! I’ve compiled a batch of practice questions for you to go through!
…but first off–my biggest piece of advice?
Relax and be yourself.
Know your application well, because that’s where all their questions will be coming from. In general, family medicine residency interviews tend to be pretty friendly and laidback–they just want to get to know you, so let them do that (but please remain professional)!
Please keep in mind that each program is different, but almost all of them will ask you the following four questions, so make sure you have strong answers for them (but don’t make it sound like you’ve rehearsed it 234987 times).
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why are you interested in our program?
- Why do you want to go into family medicine?
- What are you looking for in a program?
The rest of these that I was asked about during my interviews in some way, shape or form (I left out the ones that were very specific to my application–just be sure to know your own application very well!)
- Where are you from?
- Do you know anyone in this area?
- How would your a good friend describe you?
- What would someone who didn’t know you that well say about you?
- What would someone who didn’t like you say about you?
- What do you like to do? What do you do to de-stress?
- Tell me about your family.
- What rotations did you do in 3rd year? What do you have planned for 4th year?
- Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
- How did you find out about our program?
- What do you like about this program and what reservations do you have wit hit?
- What was your favorite class?
- What was your favorite rotation?
- What was your least favorite rotation?
- Tell me about a time where you were humbled.
- Tell me about a time where you put someone else’s needs before your own.
- Tell me about a high pressure situation you’ve been in.
- Tell me about a decision where you went against the norm.
- What are you most worried about in residency?
- How would your friends describe you in 3 words?
- What do you feel is your greatest weakness?
- Did you apply to any other specialty?
- Tell me about a time that you received feedback. How did you respond? What did you do about it?
- Tell me about a failure that you’ve had and what you did about it. How did you feel about it and is there anything you would have done differently?
- Can you tell me about a success that you had?
- What difficulties do you foresee facing in Family Medicine in the future?
- What kind of practice do you envision yourself having?
That’s all I’ve got for you at the moment–I hope you find it helpful!
(Just for fun, what’s the weirdest question you’ve ever been asked on an interview?)
One thought on “Sample Interview Questions”
“You did a lot of community hospital rotations last year. How will you overcome that aspect of your education?” was asked in various ways, more than once. Some places can be inadvertently snobby.